A Travellerspoint blog

Season 7 in the Yucatan.

First month away!

overcast 25 °C

Blog December 2017

A month has past since i left Ottawa and went to Los Cabos to visit my parents along with the company of Sheena for the first week. It was so nice to have Sheena along to help me with seeing things a bit differently than i have been. She is a better communicator than I am and can learn a lot from her. We had some alone time as well as time with my parents together.

Having seen the home my father was residing in I decided to make a change. I spoke to Ernesto the guy caring for my dad; after his other client had moved out. I asked him to manage the care for my father but here in their home. I also insisted that cancerous growth be removed. Within two days it was all arranged and taken care of. We had made an attempt to have my father home while Sheena was there to celebrate my father’s birthday; but the two days was not a success. I was determined this was going to work. I have to say it seems to be going very well. My brother David arrived two days before I left for Merida. So my parents were able to enjoy another family member for the next week.


While we were there we celebrated my fathers 85th birthday with a wonderful Chocolate Tres Leche Cake

Before leaving we had a lovely dinner out with our long time friends Manuel, Laura including Erika and her husband Axel and their delightful new son Santi; in Los Barilles about an hours drive.

My last sunrise of this trip:

Merida airport felt like arriving home. From the time i landed to the time I arrived at the home I was renting was a mere 30 min. Our lovely friend Linda was patiently waiting my arrivaland unfortunately It was late for her and she still had to travel back to Progreso. We shared the pleasantries you do when you see a friend and then I crashed into bed. The two weeks in los Cabos had exhausted me.


Linda returned on the next afternoon for two days in Merida staying with me at the house. A lovely leisurely lunch was enjoyed at the Korean restaurant with another good friend Jackie. She had come in to join me for this meal. Being recognized at the restaurant really is a wonderful feeling. After meeting up with Linda we went venturing around town checking out the lights around town. The square was lit up nicely but no nativity scene this year! The Remate at the bottom of Paseo Montejo was all lit as well as the boulevard in preparation for the next night of Noche Blanca. Dinner was not a disappointment at Olivia restaurant and a lovely stroll home help work off the meal.


Unfortunately Linda was not able to stay out with me on the Noche Blanca and so i wandered around for a couple of hours on my own. The atmosphere was absolutely wonderful. I grabbed a chocolate smoothie on Santa Lucia square while listening to some live jazz followed by a sushi dinner at Mercado 60. The streets were full of families enjoying this wonderful night. The main road “Calle 60” had been closed off for pedestrians as it is on a Sunday morning. This certainly made it a pleasant stroll. I had hoped to take in a free ride on the Paseo in a horse drawn carriage but the line was too long. So i decided to call it a night and took the free shuttle bus to near the house i was staying.


My venture into implants has begun with the tooth i had removed in the summer. I could not believe how easy this all went and i would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of getting one. It being a fraction of the cost here I would suggest you come down here for a vacation and it will cost less than the total cost at home for a tooth. The walk to my dentist office was such a pleasant one along Montejo!

Being in Merida I took advantage of the International Women’s Club coffee morning. Feeling just fine that morning i chose to walk the 10 blocks instead of taking an Uber. Dara was arriving that afternoon and so once i cleared out of the house i headed to the trusty Costco for our big purchase. I don’t think there was a spare inch in the van with all our purchases and the suitcases of 6 people.

Unfortunately I became ill the next day and slept 20 of the 24 hrs for two days running. That is now behind me and getting back into my routine. My brother in law joined us for two weeks over Christmas.


The Christmas Muelle Market was a great success. Cooler temperatures helped in making it a very pleasant day and my sales were just fine for my first market. My little tree with small hat ornaments were a hit, selling all 16 of them. I thought i was going home with 3 of the 6 elves but last minute Olga saved the day and bought them. The large family of four are still up for grabs but a friend said if they didn’t sell at this market she was going to buy them. So all good! The market had several new vendors selling their wares and it looks like the season is off to a great start.


What a way to end a month here in Mexico away from the cold of winter in Ottawa. We celebrated with the poor families of Chicxulub handing out their monthly food and a huge hamper filled with so many goodies donated by so many generous people who help out with the Chicxulub Food bank. 26 Volunteers helped out today with the distribution of gifts to the children of this town. A group came from the local school to receive a gift along with an orange that had been donated to us at the Orange Fesival in Oxcucab



Watching this one child seeing Santa at the end of a long stretch, and start running to see him and be wrapped in his embrace was so precious. I was unable to take photos of this as I was at the table where each family had to check in for their food bags.

Wishing everyone a great holiday season and awaiting Andy and Alexis’ arrival at year end..... Andrea

Posted by OhUiginn 14:10 Archived in Mexico

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


A great blog post Andrea! And your pictures are wonderful.

by Bonnie

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.