A Travellerspoint blog

Week leading up to Christmas

Week Three

sunny 29 °C

As I sit here listening to the lapping of the waves and seeing fishing boats going by I can't help but feel fortunate to be so calm and relaxed here in Chicxulub.

This week has been a busy one leading up to Christmas as I am sure it has been for all.

Liam arrived in Los Cabos after a long technical delay in Newark. He will spend Christmas with his grandparents alone for the first time. It will be special time for him.


We started off the week attending a posada in Chicxulub. We hadn't been to one since we lived in Mexico City with Brendan 30 some odd years ago! Not sure why we never attended one in Los Cabos! It was very different from the one we had attended before and we were confused as to the meaning of the red skirts and the scarves on the head. The boys were wearing floor cloth ponchos. There were others with Christmas hats and red scarves. We had plenty of lovely angels of all sizes. It started with mass followed by the procession around the village looking for a place to stay! It ended it with a party at the D'Mar centre where we always have the Muelle Market! Here there was a lovely stable set up for Mary and Joseph. There were gifts for all the children. The handing out of gifts followed a little choir singing (now I know why the red scarves). Awaiting the tedious handing out of gifts using a raffle style took a tole on us and we didnt' stay for what was to happen next with the dancing by the ladies in red skirts and scarves on their heads. The other tradition that we didn't get to see was the piƱata breaking by the children. I'm sure that would have been chaotic but fun.


I went back to Merida for a nice visit with my friendly dentist Peniche whom informed me that i did not need an implant just yet. It is great to have a dentist not in a hurry to do procedures. Walked around Centro and the Plaza Grande enjoying the day!


Muelle market: This was the busiest Christmas market since the start of this market. It must be that this place really is getting more popular and the marketing of the event is working. I was able to sell all my gnomes and all but one kitchen set! I do know of someone who will likely buy the one left as it is their favourite colour! (Sheila, yes I am talking about you!) I also sold my sample sun hat and have orders for three more. I shall have to get busy making more of the kitchen towel sets. I am really doing well this year. I will have my three families taken care of in no time! There will be plenty left to help the Chicxulub Foodbank with all sorts of other activities.


We found out that it was our Cuidador Marie's 46th birthday and that her husband had arranged for a serenade to happen at 11pm. We invited them to celebrate on our patio where there was plenty of room. The daughter and daughter in law arrived with the pizza etc and set them up ahead of time. All this was a surprise so we had to be careful. It all went very well and she was awoken from her slumber after a few songs. He then joined us for the feast! Dara and I are fluent in Spanish but have a difficult time understanding them as they eat their words when they speak. We are constantly asking them to repeat themselves but we are getting better every day. This was exaggerated by the music being played as we chatted.


Christmas Eve: We planned a cocktail party with a few friends I prepared all sorts of things with some failures; brownies were burnt and fudge never really set! I then forgot to put them out for everyone in the end. Except we had a second party planned with our caretakers and their family were invited to come by to receive their presents. I thought that they had decided not to come as my understanding was they were going to her mothers home. It turned out they went briefly there and came right here. They were all dressed up and looking like they were ready for a party! By this time I had put away all the left over food. This really did work out best as I then came out with the food presented in a way that it no longer looked like left overs and had the chance to also present the deserts. They devoured most of what was on offer! It was a delightful time and it was a nice way to end Christmas Eve. I got the feeling they were here to party late but we were too tired to stay up past 10pm. As it turns out we should have partied all night as our neighbours certainly did and so we didn't have a good night sleep. Well they did stop around 5:45!!


Christmas Day: The morning started off with our usual Sunday breakfast of bacon and eggs. We then started calling and texting around to our kids when it dawned on me that there was a new feature on Facebook messenger that allowed for a group video chat. We then planned on us all joining in. I unfortunately didn't get in touch with David in time to participate. This was so amazing: Greg in Malindi, Kenya; Liam and my parents in Los Cabos; Brendan at home in his new condo in Ottawa; Sheena at Adam's family home in Stittsville; and last but not least us on the beach in Chicxulub! It really made my day! I had been feeling really sad not being with family up to that point and this made up for it all! We ventured into Merida to an open house we had been invited to. But before heading over I thought it might be nice to show Dara the nativity scene in the Plaza Grande! To our surprise there was the Sunday market happening as well. The vendors were a bit sparse but still I did see some of my friends.


To end the wonderful Christmas day we headed to Faces for our Christmas dinner, not before taking a well needed nap ( I rarely take a nap but when you've had a sleepless night it is necessary). What a wonderful meal and entertainment from the local. Walking to the corner to catch the bus home we stumbled upon a lovely decorated house on calle 23 we stopped and chatted with the lovely family including the 95 year old grandma! We complemented them on the decorations which combine the Mexican nativity scene with a Dickensville.


All day when I'd seen a small child on the bus I handed real maple candies to them. Luckily I had two left on our last combi-bus home.

Boxing Day was to be a quiet do nothing day with a visit from Lorraine in the morning. She came for toast and fig jam i had given Dara for Christmas. It was delicious. No way can we make it through this whole jar!


I had texted with Erika a few days ago about getting together today but hadn't firmed up anything. Well with one small text and they were out here within two hours where we met her delightful little baby Santiago or Santi for short! They joined us for dinner and brought a wonderful "Tres Leches desert". it was so nice to catch up with them and their plans. Unfortunately Erika was unable to get posted to Merida airport as an air traffic controller so they are having to move back to Los Cabos for a few years. They are ok with that as long as they get to return in a few years when it is time for Santi to start school.


Posted by OhUiginn 06:30 Archived in Mexico

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Sounds like a fun time had by all....love Marie's serenade!!

by Alexis

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.