A Travellerspoint blog



sunny 26 °C

WEEK 5 in Chicxulub

Rehearsal for the fashion show went well and I love the new venue with the higher ceiling and plenty of fans to keep us cool; a more spacious change area would have worked better.

Another successful year at the Chicxulub Fashion Show held at D'Mar events hall; a new great location. We showcased a local designer, whose clothing some people liked me in, but way too much polyester for me!

nice but not for me

As always we had so much fun showing off these lovely cotton clothes. i couldn't resist buying another two pieces today! That is it for awhile as I have a closet full of these clothes. I have been buying them for about 15 years, and I think I like the designs from Abaca better than Dunes. I can't seem to get Olga to carry them here.

We managed to raise around 8,000 pesos (over 600$CD) on the day; plus the sale of the tickets, this is great news for the food bank.


I am so glad we finally got to visit the Casa Museo Montes Molinas, after our dentist appt., as I have been trying to do for a few years. It was really lovely! We were fortunate to arrive just in time for the 11am English tour. This house was designed built in 1904 by the same architect who built the Opera House Contera de Peon; for a Cuban and his Mexican wife as a wedding present from her parents; and then sold to the current family after 15 years. It is still owned by and filled with the possessions of the second owners (Molinas family) . In addition to the beauty of the home and its interesting furnishings, provides some insight into the life of a very wealthy family in the sisal-driven heyday of the Yucantan. The home is still owned by the granddaughter of the family is still alive in Mexico City; who comes to the home about 5 times a year. So it is still a functioning home that is maintained nicely with the help of the great wedding venue in the back yard.


Alexis and I love to check out Merida and made our way to the hammock shop where I buy cotton for my sun hats; as I have an order for two of them. Every time I walk around this area (one block from the main square) I feel like I am part of a bigger picture. There is so much life happening; the big old buses making their way through the narrow streets and the sidewalks filled with locals doing their shopping. This particular section of the streets could be called the "crafters heaven". There are endless possibilities of what you can find to make your Carnival Costumes coming up this month; with quite the selection of all manor of things from feather boas to lace trim of every conceivable colour and design; or glittery fabric. It can be overwhelming sometimes. Check out the wall of zippers!


I finally joined the IWC International Women's Club. I have been going to various meetings over the years as a guest and the funds raised go to the Girls Scholarship Fund. The Friendship sub group some of which are the beach ladies, were hosting todays meeting, so I helped out with selling of raffle tickets and my sun hats; which I managed to sell three sold and two orders for different colours. So it is a good start. The discussion this month was about the website changes but the second half was talking about the kids cancer program (which I have contributed to with hats for the kids for a few years now) This subcommittee visit the children once a week with activity books; a stuff toy; and a knitted or crochet hat. It is great work being done by these ladies and the look on the children's faces when they are presented with their gift bags is priceless. I plan to help more with the hats at the Merida English Library, where they meet twice a month to share and teach how to make these hats; where I will strongly encourage only the use of only cotton or wool for their little heads to breathe better; but we can't be too picky when receiving donations.

Sheila and Ian finally made it down after being held back in Canada for family health reasons. We invited them along with a few others for a steak dinner; some were unable to attend as they were watching the Super Bowl (I am glad not all men watch it!) We had some great laughs and shared some stories. Dara always chooses a theme and asks questions of us all. It keeps the conversations quite interesting.

It has been quite the week and to end it yesterday I got invited to see how tamales are made. Last year on the Candelaria celebration we ate the most fantastic tamales. The best I have ever eaten. We asked Rosie if she could show us how they are made. Well we never heard back and then suddenly I get a phone call inviting me and I quickly invited Alexis along as she was just as keen. Well what a day to remember!
It was such an honour to be in her home as she prepared these lovely tamales coladas; there are different kinds of tamales but these are by far the best in my opinion. It all started with Anna blending white and yellow corn masa in a blender with water; she then proceeded to sieve it to only take the light liquid. After setting aside the lumpy part she would add more water to be sure she got all the starch out of it she could. Nothing goes to waste, the grains left on the second go round are fed to some nearby chickens. From here she put it on the stove in this gigantic pot over three burners that had water salt and a herb I can't remember what it is called; It is best done in a wide shallow pot to be sure it thickens evenly. To her mixture she added lard (pork fat) and stirred this constantly checking the taste and consistency of cream of wheat along with the glistening look she wanted. She makes 4 kilos at one time.. All the while the chayote broth that the chicken wings and thighs had been cooked in is reduced over the stove in a small pot beside. She demonstrated to us the sequence


In the meantime suddenly once the this was ready to be assembled and the banana leaves had been washed we stopped. We weren't quite sure what was happening as they were setting up these large tables and several hundred loaves of baguettes arrived. They had an order that had to be completed by 3:30pm of 350 tortas (sandwiches). We set up and cut these loaves in half and then spread them across these tables creating an assembly line of mayo; lettuce; two kinds of ham; cheese; tomato; and onion. Once they were done each one was wrapped in a napkin and put in bags of 25. If we had not been there to help them I am not sure they would have been able to get them done in time.


Once they were on their way we returned to our making of tamales on these same tables; 35 of them were put into a pot and steamed for 1:30-2:00hrs in the outside kitchen!


Late that night, we assembled at Sharon's 'conversation class" where Rosie delivered the steamed tamales that were enjoyed by all in attendance. I think this is the largest group!

Posted by OhUiginn 08:43 Archived in Mexico

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.